Caramel Crystals Recipe Ideas
Caramel Crystals Angel Food Cake
Caramel Crystals adds a whole new dimension to this fat-free, easy, light-as-air dessert. The slice of cake shown in the middle of this photo demonstrates how Caramel Crystals alters the color compared to standard angel food cake; but only when you take a bite do you realize how much more complex the taste of sugar can be. Caramel Crystals adds depth of flavor and mellows out the sweetness of this classic favorite.
- 1 1/4 cup Caramel Crystals sugar
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 large egg whites at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (or use almond extract for an especially nutty-flavored angel food cake)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift flour and salt together into a bowl and set aside.
- Beat egg whites on medium-high until foamy (around 1 minute). Then add cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form. Continue to beat while gradually adding the Caramel Crystals sugar, and beat until stiff peaks form (around 2 minutes).
- Add vanilla and beat briefly to combine. If you're using the optional lemon zest, this is when you would add it in as well.
- Gently transfer the egg white mixture to a large, wide bowl. Sift the flour mixture over the egg-white mixture a bit at a time (about 4 or 5 separate times). Turn the bowl while using a rubber spatula to fold the flour mixture into the egg white mixture. A good technique is to cut down the center of the bowl with the spatula and coming up the sides while turning the bowl. The key is to combine the ingredients gently.
- Gently spoon the batter into an ungreased angel food cake pan with a removable bottom. Smooth the top of the batter in the pan. Gently cut a knife through the batter to release air bubbles.
- Bake until cake starts to slightly brown and springs back when lightly pressed, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- After removing cake from the oven, invert the pan. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for at least 1 hour. Run a knife around the inside of the pan and around the tube to release the cake, and use the knife to release the cake from the bottom of the pan.
- Enjoy with strawberries and cream, or your choice of toppings. (Or, our favorite, just plain!)